Between my roles as Planner,Bride ,and a brief stint working in a Bridal Gown Shop, I have taken note on shopping for bridal gowns. Prepare yourself for this milestone experience with my very own "Do’s and Don’ts of Bridal Gown Shopping." Adapted from my first blog "Tales of a Wedding Belle."
- Don’t- Bring a huge entourage. Trying on bridal gowns is a very special experience you may want to share with your closest friends and family, however everyone has an opinion.That being said bring those whose taste you trust and will give you honest and helpful constructive criticism. The less people who see the gown means a bigger wow factor and reveal on your wedding day.
- Don’t- Wear heavy make- up or a lot of jewelry. Obviously you will accessorize and be made up on your wedding day, however you will be trying on multiple dresses and no one wants your make up coming off on the dress or your jewelry getting caught on them. It’s also great to pick your dress first then accessorize it later.
- Don’t- Be turned off from your dress for something that can easily be changed. Don’t let the color of the dress sway you; most dresses come in various shades of white, ivory, and other fun colors such as champagne or pink . Color can also most likely be changed on bows, sashes and other embellishments. A dress can be made fuller by easily adding a crinoline skirt underneath it. Also many manufacturers can change the length of the train, neckline and strap options.
- Do- Have an open mind. Try on different styles of dresses especially if you are trying dresses on for the first time. A dress on the hanger and a dress on you are two separate things.
- Do- Know yourself. Even though I mentioned that it is great to explore different styles and cuts, know your body. For example if you are very petite you may get lost in a large ball gown or if you are a bustier bride you don’t want to keep pulling at your strapless gown all evening.
- Do-Wear appropriate undergarments. Chances are you may be wearing some form of shape wear on your wedding day to ensure a seamless look. When in doubt Spanx it out. Strapless bras are a smart idea to wear too especially if you are interested in strapless, halter, or a delicate strapped dress.
- Do- Consider your wedding theme and date. Let your bridal consultant know the look and feel you are trying to encompass at your wedding. If you are having a black tie wedding by all means dress up and get that ball gown. If a beach wedding is more your style opt for lighter fabrics and keep in mind that sand and delicate materials with a long train don’t mix.
- Do- Keep in mind your budget. Alterations to the dress are typically not included in the sale price. Sample/ Trunk sales are a great option to purchase designer dresses at a fraction of the price. If you fall in love with a dress on the in store there may be the option to buy that dress off the rack at a reduced price. If you are on a tight budget try browsing the bridesmaid dresses, we can often order them in white/ivory.
- Do- Choose the dress that you want your beloved to see you walking down the aisle in. Bring on the tears!